MarvellousMe Limited (‘we’ ‘us ‘our’) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and the personal data you entrust to us.
This is the privacy and cookies policy for the MarvellousMe website and mobile applications (‘Policy’) – that is, for the website at www.marvellousme.com (referred to as the ‘website’) and each of our mobile applications that we make available from time to time (each of which is referred to as an ‘app’). The website and apps are operated and provided by us and our address and other details are set out below, should you wish to contact us.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18) and any applicable national legislation implementing or supplementing the GDPR, in relation to the protection of personal data and/or any corresponding or equivalent national legislation in any relevant jurisdiction (once in force and applicable), we are the data controller in relation to the personal data that you provide when using the website and the apps.
We fully appreciate that you do not want any personal information provided to us to be used in an inappropriate way, and here we explain how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
By giving your unambiguous informed consent to the terms of this Policy, and using the website or any app, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this Policy. This includes how we will use any information we collect or hold in relation to any contract we are obliged to perform with or in relation to you, including with the relevant school, or where it is in the legitimate interests of MarvellousMe to hold or collect such information.
What our website and apps do
Our website and apps are intended to provide an easy and enjoyable way for teachers at schools to share information about what pupils have done at school with the parents of the pupils concerned, in order to assist with communication and interaction between schools and the parents of the pupils and to provide ideas and resources to help parents continue their children’s learning at home.
Information we may collect
We collect personal information from a number of sources:
- from schools, when they register with us;
- from teachers, when they register with us and input information about pupils;
- from parents, when they register with us and are linked via the app with information relating to their children.
We will not collect any information directly from pupils. The only information that we will collect or process relating to pupils at schools will be that information which is provided to us by the schools, which warrant they have permission to provide us with such information, or teachers and parents in the course of using the website or the apps.
We may collect and process the following personal information:
- information (such as the name, email, telephone number, country, school and payment details) that is provided to us by users by completing forms on the website or app, including due to registration as a user of the website or app, subscription to any of our newsletters, uploading or submission of any material via the website or the app, or requesting information from us;
- information relating to pupils at the schools that are registered with us, and which the school warrants it is permitted to give us, which may include (in relation to any given pupil), the pupil’s name, unique pupil number, year, registration group, course of study and activities in class or at school on any given day. Information relating to a pupil that may be uploaded by a school may include not only text but also photos, videos or audio recordings that include the pupil concerned (where they have permission to do so). We will not ask for, nor collect, any information relating to a pupil’s home address or personal contact details (such as the pupil’s own email address, online identity or mobile number, if any), and neither will pupils be permitted to submit any information themselves to the website or the app nor to obtain any access via the website or the app to information submitted to the website or the app (save to the extent that a teacher or parent provides them with such access, which must however always only ever be in accordance with this Policy, the School Terms and Conditions or User Terms);
- in connection with an account sign-in facility, log-in and password details;
- details of any transactions made through the website or app;
- communications sent to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the website or app or its content;
- information from surveys, promotions and competitions that we may, from time to time, run on the website or via the app, if and to the extent that users choose to respond to, or participate in, them; and
- information posted by users in the form of comments or contributions to discussions, including the details of any social media accounts utilised.
Users are under no obligation to provide any particular information. However, if a user should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide that user with certain services.
We may also automatically collect the following technical information:
- the Internet protocol (IP) address used to identify or connect your device to the Internet, location data and any login information; or
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page and any social media account, email or phone number used to contact us.
Information we receive from other sources:
This is information we receive about you if you use any other services we provide or information that we receive from authorised third parties; in which case you will have been informed when your data was collected that it may be shared with us for a specific purpose.
Uses made of personal information
Information relating to a given pupil will only be accessible to the relevant school and teacher(s) and to the parents of that pupil (provided the parents have registered with us first). We will not share information relating to a pupil with anyone other than the school, the teacher(s) at that school and the parents of that pupil who have registered with us.
We will never sell your personal data to a third party.
We will only use the personal information that we are provided with to:
- identify users when signing-in to their account;
- allow teachers to communicate information regarding a given pupil’s activities and progress at school with the parents of the relevant pupil. This information may include text, photos, videos or audio recordings;
- if the school permits photos or video (for example) to be uploaded to the website or apps which shows a pupil in a group activity with other pupils, but does not identify individual pupils, then that photo or video may be shared with the parents of all of the pupils in the relevant class or to whom the photo or video relates (which may, for example, mean that the information is shared with the parents of all of the pupils in a given class, to the extent that the parents are registered with MarvellousMe);
- parents who have registered with us may be given additional user codes that those parents can then send to others (for example, grandparents) who the parents would like to be able to access the information relating to their own child. It is up to the parents to ensure that user codes are only ever shared in this way with appropriate people, and the parents sharing the user codes are responsible for any access to pupil information that is obtained by anyone with whom the user codes are shared;
- enable us to provide users with the services and information relating to schools and pupils shared through the website and app. This includes providing schools with details of the use made of the website and app by relevant teachers and parents;
- administer users’ accounts with us;
- analyse the use of the website and app and the people visiting in order to improve our content and services including research into our users’ demographics;
- send users only information they have consented to receive;
- send nudges to users as a reminder of what information is available by the app and to encourage users to use the app regularly;
- verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments users make online;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about events or services we offer or that are similar to those that you have already purchased or engaged with about, or which we believe we have a legitimate interest in informing you about; or
- to notify you about changes to our services.
Users will only be contacted with information regarding the products and services of third parties if they consented to such contact at the point their information is or was collected.
If a user does not wish us to continue to use their information in this way, they may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained in any communication(s) sent to them. A user can also exercise this right at any time by using the contacting us details at the end of this Policy.
Schools and teachers who have registered with us will have the facility to generate reports of the usage of the app made by parents so that, for example, they can see when and to what extent parents have accessed information relating to their child via the app – they will not have access to parents’ account details.
Schools may also have the facility to generate reports on the use of the website and the app by teachers.
Non-personally identifiable information
When a user visits the website or accesses or uses any app, we may automatically collect and aggregate additional anonymous information such as your browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and time zone settings, to assist us in providing a more effective and reliable service on the website or app.
Cookies and similar technology
Cookies are pieces of information that include a unique reference code that a website transfers to a user’s device to store and sometimes track information about that user. A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of the relevant web session and expire when the user closes their browser. Other cookies are used to remember a user when they return to the website and will last for longer.
- remember that users have used the website or app before; this means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive and allows us to make sure that we have enough capacity for the number of users we get;
- allow users to navigate the website more quickly and easily;
- remember a user’s login session so they can move from one page to another within the website;
- store a user’s preferences;
- customise elements of the layout and/or content of the pages of the website or app for each user;
- collect statistical information about how the website or apps are used so that we can improve the website and the apps; and
- gather information about the pages on the website that users visit or the functions of the app that users use, and also other information about other websites that users visit. This information is not intended to identify the user personally but does include information about the country and city the user is in, together with the name of the user’s internet service provider.
Some of the cookies used on our website are set by us and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
Most computer and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information about cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note however, that by blocking or deleting cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the website or apps (as the case may be).
a) Our cookies
|Cookie name||Purpose||More information [i.e.type and duration]|
|Google Analytics||Tracking of user details||Session only|
|YouTube||To allow videos to play||Stores for next visit|
We may disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to the website and users of the apps in order to describe our services to prospective partners but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
We will only disclose users’ personal information to those affiliates, agents or contractors who assist us in providing the services we offer through the website or the app, processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, receiving and sending communications, analysing data, providing support services or in other tasks from time to time, and as already set out in this Policy. Our affiliates, agents and contractors warrant that they will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their defined functions and on terms no less stringent than this Policy and our data protection terms.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or the business, or key assets, are sold to a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party.
We may disclose your personal information if legally entitled or required to do so (for example if required by law or by a Court order or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cybercrime or to protect the website or the rights, property or personal safety of any person).
The website may, from time to time, make chat rooms, message boards, news groups and/or other public forums available to its users. Any content, contributions or information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when using these and never disclose your personal information.
The website and apps may, from time to time, contain links to external sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with users, pupils, teachers and schools. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. For example, our security, terms and policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
It is advisable to close your browser or app when you have finished your user session to help ensure others do not access your personal information if you use a shared computer or device or a computer or device in a public place.
Storage of information
Information that you submit via the website or app is sent to and stored on secure servers located in the United Kingdom or elsewhere in the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
If you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will always aim to inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes.
You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by amending your account preferences or by unsubscribing, at any time, from any email or other communication you receive from us.
Anyone in relation to whom we collect, process or store personal information (including pupils) also has a legal right:
- to be given a copy of all the personal information about the person concerned held by us. On request, we will provide a copy of this information to the person to whom it relates;
- to correct any errors in that information, and
- to be forgotten.
You can exercise these legal rights, at any time, by contacting us in the ways set out below.
Please submit any questions, concerns or comments you have about this Policy or any requests concerning your personal data by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Get In Touch page on our website.
We are MarvellousMe Ltd, a company registered in England under number 08782237, and our registered address is at Mousetows, Mouse Lane, Steyning, West Sussex BN44 3LP, UK.