This is the privacy and cookies policy for the MarvellousMe website and mobile applications – that is, for the website at www.marvellousme.com (referred to as the website) and each of our mobile applications that we make available from time to time (each of which is referred to as an app). The website is operated and the apps are provided by MarvellousMe Limited (we, us and our). Our address and other details as set out below, under contacting us. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, we are the data controller in relation to the personal data that you provide when using the website and the apps.
We are committed to protecting our users’ privacy on-line. We appreciate that you do not want the personal information that is provided to us to be used in any inappropriate way, and here we explain how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have.
What our website and apps do
Our website and apps are intended to provide an easy and enjoyable way for teachers at schools to share information about what pupils have done at school with the parents of the pupils concerned, in order to assist with communication and interaction between schools and the parents of the pupils and to provide ideas and resources to help parents continue their children’s learning at home.
Information we may collect
We collect personal information from a number of sources:
• from schools, when they register with us;
• from teachers, when they register with us and input information about pupils;
• from parents, when they register with us and are linked via the app with information relating to their children.
We will not collect any information directly from pupils. The only information that we will collect or process relating to pupils at schools will be that information which is provided to us by the schools, teachers and parents in the course of using the website or the apps.
We may collect and process the following personal information:
• information (such as the name, email, telephone number, country, school and payment details) that is provided to us by users by completing forms on the website or app, including due to registration as a user of the website or app, subscription to any of our newsletters, uploading or submission of any material via the website or the app, or requesting information from us;
• information relating to pupils at the schools that are registered with us, which may include (in relation to any given pupil), the pupil’s name, age, gender, year, course of study and activities in class or at school on any given day. Information relating to a pupil that may be uploaded by a school may include not only text but also photos, videos or audio recordings that include the pupil concerned. We will not ask for, nor collect, any information relating to a pupil’s home address or personal contact details (such as the pupil’s own email address, online identity or mobile number, if any), and neither will pupils be permitted to submit any information themselves to the website or the app nor to obtain any access via the website or the app to information submitted to the website or the app (save to the extent that a teacher or parent provides them with such access);
• in connection with an account sign-in facility, log-in and password details;
• details of any transactions made through the website or app;
• communications sent to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the website or app or its content;
• information from surveys, promotions and competitions that we may, from time to time, run on the website or via the app, if and to the extent that users choose to respond to, or participate in, them;
• technical information from users’ mobile devices relating to the service we provide; and
• information posted by users in the form of comments or contributions to discussions.
Users are under no obligation to provide any particular information. However, if a user should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide that user with certain services.
We may, from time to time, run referral programmes or similar initiatives, such as a “Refer a Teacher” programme, that invite users to provide us with the contact details of someone who is known to the user (for example, their child’s teacher) who may find our products or services to be of interest. We will only use those contact details for the purpose of the relevant initiative (and not for general marketing purposes). By providing us with their details, users confirm that they have the relevant person’s permission to do so and users must not provide us with the details of anyone from whom the user does not have such permission. We reserve the right to identify users providing the relevant information as the person who made the referral in the message that is sent to the person that is referred.
Uses made of personal information
We will use the personal information that we are provided with to:
• identify users when signing-in to their account;
• allow teachers to communicate information regarding a given pupil’s activities and progress at school with the parents of the relevant pupil. This information may be in the form of text, photos, videos or audio recordings.
Information relating to a given pupil will only be accessible to the relevant school and teacher(s) and to the parents of that pupil (provided the parents have registered with us first). We will not share information relating to a pupil with any one other than the school, the teacher(s) at that school and the parents of that pupil who have registered with us (although the parents may then share it with others, as set out below), although if (for example) a photo or video is uploaded which shows a pupil in a group activity with other pupils, then that photo or video may be shared with the parents of all of the pupils in the relevant class or to whom the photo or video relates (which may, for example, mean that the information is shared with the parents of all of the pupils in a given class, to the extent that the parents concerned are registered with us);
• parents who have registered with us may be given additional user codes that those parents can then send to others (for example, grandparents) who the parents would like to be able to access the information relating to their child. It is up to the parents to ensure that user codes are only shared in this way with appropriate people, and the parents sharing the user codes are responsible for any access to pupil information that is obtained by anyone with whom the user codes are shared by the parents concerned;
• enable us to provide users with the services and information relating to schools and pupils shared through the website and app. This includes providing schools with details of the use made of the website and app by relevant teachers and parents;
• administer users’ account with us;
• verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments users make online;
• analyse the use of the website and app and the people visiting in order to improve our content and services including research into our users’ demographics;
• send users information we think they may find useful or which they have requested from us, including receipt of marketing communications such as our periodic newsletters provided the relevant user has indicated that they are happy to be contacted for these purposes;
• send nudges to users as a reminder of what information is available by the app and to encourage users to use the app regularly;
• allow, with each relevant user’s consent, carefully selected third parties to send the user concerned information directly which the user may find useful regarding their products and services.
Schools and teachers who have registered with us will have the facility to generate reports of the usage of the app made by parents so that, for example, they can see when and to what extent parents have accessed information relating to their child via the app. Schools may also have the facility to generate reports on the use of the website and the app by teachers.
Non-personally identifiable information
When a user visits the website or accesses or uses any app, we may automatically collect additional information about that user, such as the type of internet browser or mobile device they use, any website from which they have come to the website or app and the user’s IP address (the unique address which identifies the user’s device on the internet) and the user’s operating system, all of which are automatically recognised by our web server. Users cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on the website or app and to collect broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Cookies and similar technology
Cookies are pieces of information that include a unique reference code that a website transfers to a user’s device to store and sometimes track information about that user. A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of the relevant web session and expire when the user closes their browser. Other cookies are used to remember a user when they return to the website and will last for longer.
• remember that users have used the website or app before; this means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive and allows us to make sure that we have enough capacity for the number of users we get;
• allow users to navigate the website more quickly and easily;
• remember a user’s login session so they can move from one page to another within the website;
• store a user’s preferences ;
• customise elements of the layout and/or content of the pages of the website or app for each user;
• collect statistical information about how the website or apps are used so that we can improve the website and the apps; and
• gather information about the pages on the website that users visit or the functions of the app that users use, and also other information about other websites that users visit], so as to place users in a “market segment”. This information is collected by reference to the IP address that the user is using and so does not identify the user personally, but does include information about the country and city the user is in, together with the name of the user’s internet service provider]. This information is then used to place interest-based adverts on the website which it is believed will be relevant to the user’s market segment. For more information about this type of interest based advertising, and about how to turn this feature off please visit www.youronlinechoices.co.uk. Without these cookies, advertisements that a user encounters will be less relevant to that user and to their interests.
• Some of the cookies used on our website are set by us and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
• Most computer and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information about cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note however, that by blocking or deleting cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the website or apps (as the case may be).
Some of the cookies used on our website are set by us and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
Most computer and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information about cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note however, that by blocking or deleting cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the website or apps (as the case may be).
a) Our cookies
|Cookie name||Purpose||More information [i.e.type and duration]|
|Google Analytics||Tracking of user details||Session only|
|YouTube||To allow videos to play||Stores for next visit|
b) Third Party cookies
In addition to cookies we use the following similar technologies in respect of use of the website or apps:
• Pixel Gifs – Pixel Gifs/web beacons – these are small image files that may be placed by us or third parties in respect of a user’s use of the website or within the body of our newsletters so we or third parties can understand which parts of the website are visited or whether particular content is of interest.
• Flash cookies – We may use Adobe Flash Player to display video or image content. We do not serve Flash cookies but Adobe Flash Player may be used by third parties serving advertisements to the website in cases where these advertisements are served with flash related content. It may not be possible to block or restrict flash cookies using your browser settings, however information on how to control Flash Player privacy, and security settings is available from the Adobe website at:http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security
We may disclose aggregate statistics about visitors to the website and users of the apps in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, sponsors and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics will include no personally identifiable information.
We may disclose users’ personal information to any of our affiliates, or to our agents or contractors who assist us in providing the services we offer through the website or the app, processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, receiving and sending communications, updating marketing lists, analysing data, providing support services or in other tasks from time to time. Our agents and contractors will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party.
We may disclose your personal information if legally entitled or required to do so (for example if required by law or by a Court order or if we believe that such action is necessary to prevent fraud or cyber crime or to protect the website or the rights, property or personal safety of any person).
The website may, from time to time, make chat rooms, message boards, news groups and/or other public forums available to its users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when using these and never disclose your personal information.
Protecting the safety of children when they use the internet is very important to us. We recommend that pupils receive the permission from their teacher, parent or guardian before gaining access to the website or any app or sending personal information to us or anyone else.
The website and apps may, from time to time, contain links to external sites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with users and pupils. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
It is advisable to close your browser when you have finished your user session to help ensure others do not access your personal information if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place.
Storage of information
Information that you submit via the website or app is sent to and stored on secure servers located in the United Kingdom or elsewhere in the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
If you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.
Anyone in relation to whom we collect, process or store personal information (including pupils) has a legal right under the Data Protection Act 1998:
• to be given a copy of all the personal information about the person concerned held by us. On request, we will provide a copy of this information to the person to whom it relates subject to a fee not exceeding the prescribed fee permitted by law;
• to correct any errors in that information;
• as mentioned above, to prevent the use of their personal information for direct marketing purposes.
We are MarvellousMe Ltd, a company registered in England under number 08782237, and our registered address is at Mousetows, Mouse Lane, Steyning, West Sussex BN44 3LP, UK.